I thought this would be easier than the actresses list, but as I started jotting actors who came to mind, it turned out I could probably list a top 50 without much effort. After whittling them down, it seems hard to believe who didn't make the the cut (John Garfield, Errol Flynn and Danny Kaye among others).
The Top 10 are in order with the rest in no particular order. Favorites are listed as well.
- James Stewart (Harvey, The Naked Spur, The Shop Around the Corner)
- Cary Grant (His Girl Friday, My Favorite Wife, North by Northwest)
- Humphrey Bogart (The Maltese Falcon, Casablanca, Treasure of the Sierra Madre)
- Bob Hope (Road to Morocco, Ghost Breakers, Princess and the Pirate)
- Harold Lloyd (Safety Last, Speedy, The Freshman)
- James Cagney (Angels with Dirty Faces, Public Enemy, White Heat)
- Claude Rains (Mr. Skeffington, Crime Without Passion, Casablanca)
- Thomas Mitchell (Stagecoach, It's a Wonderful Life, The Fighting Sullivans)
- Spencer Tracy (Adam's Rib, Captain's Courageous, Fury)
- Edward G. Robinson (Little Caesar, Double Indemnity, Five Star Final)
- William Powell (Thin Man Series, Libeled Lady, Mister Roberts)
- Mickey Rooney (Boys Town, Andy Hardy Series, Mickey-Judy Films)
- Joseph Cotten (Citizen Kane, Shadow of a Doubt, The Steel Trap)
- Gary Cooper (Ball of Fire, Meet John Doe, Mr. Deeds Goes to Town)
- John Wayne (The Quiet Man, Red River, Rio Bravo)
- Clark Gable (Gone With the Wind, Wife vs. Secretary, Key to the City)
- Charlton Heston (Lucy Gallant, Ben-Hur, The Ten Commandments)
- Charles Laughton (They Knew What They Wanted, Mutiny on the Bounty, Les Miserables)
- Joel McCrea (Wells Fargo, Foreign Correspondent, Sullivan's Travels)
- Burt Lancaster (Brute Foce, The Killers, Criss Cross)
George Sanders, Kirk Douglas, Errol Flynn, Gene Kelly, William Holden, Robert Mitchum, Richard Widmark, Peter Lorre, Ward Bond, Bing Crosby, Henry Fonda, Walter Brennan, Jack Carson, Jack Benny, Ronald Colman, John Garfield, Lee J. Cobb, Sydney Greenstreet, Charles Coburn, Lee Marvin, Fredric March, Orson Welles, Herbert Marshall, Randolph Scott, Danny Kaye, Walter Huston, Frank Morgan, Donald O'Connor, James Mason, Robert Ryan, Alan Ladd, Ray Milland, Fred Astaire, Lionel Barrymore, Marlon Brando, Glenn Ford.