| Paths of Glory |
Retail $29.99, Our: $23.99
| WHAT: |
| Paths of Glory (Blu-Ray) |
Retail $39.99, Our: $31.99
Criterion has scheduled an October 26th release date for the Criterion Treatment of Paths of Glory in separate standard and Blu-Ray DVDs.
Each will be a single disc release. Details below.
A pivotal work by Stanley Kubrick, Paths of Glory is among the most powerful war films ever made. A fiery Kirk Douglas stars as a French colonel serving in World War I who goes head-to-head with the army’s ruthless top brass when his men are accused of cowardice after being unable to carry out an impossible mission.
This haunting, exquisitely photographed dissection of the military machine in all its absurdity and capacity for dehumanization (a theme Kubrick would continue to explore throughout his career) is assembled with its legendary director’s customary precision, from its tense trench warfare sequences to its gripping courtroom climax to its ravaging final scene.
- New audio commentary by critic Gary Giddins
- Television interview from 1979 with star Kirk Douglas
- New video interviews with Kubrick’s longtime executive producer Jan Harlan, Paths of Glory producer James B. Harris, and actress Christiane Kubrick
- Excerpt from a French television program about real-life World War I executions similar to the events dramatized in Paths of Glory
- Theatrical trailer
- PLUS: An essay by Kubrick scholar James Naremore